There are many things you can lack and still be successful. You can fall short in many areas of your character, skills, talents, and experience and still steer clear of danger.
Integrity isn’t one of the things.
This is what INTEGRITY means to me:
- Integrity is a deep and resonating core value. It is not a superficial trait
- Integrity grounds you. Not just what you say, but what you do, who you truly are
- Integrity is an “integral” part of your character
- Integrity is the glue that links what you think, what you say, what you do, who you are
When there is no integrity, there is no trust.
Followers look for 2 things in Leaders – skills and integrity. You can follow a leader that is still building and learning skills, but you should not follow a leader that lacks integrity.
I’ve given much thought on how I ended up in prison, serving a sentence in a Federal Penitentiary. My lack of integrity was one of Ten Deadly Mistakes leading up to that.
So I designed a prescription to address Integrity as a Leader, although I believe that this prescription would serve anyone as a checklist on how they rank in the Integrity area.
- Establish a set of sound ethics policies
- Integrate them into all business processes
- Communicate them broadly to all employees
- Make clear there is no tolerance for any deviation from any of them
- Live by these policies.
You have to make time to set your “integrity agenda,” for yourself, and then to make clear how important Integrity is to you, for others. It won’t happen if you are not active in getting it done.
I took for granted people would be able to figure out right from wrong. The problem is, in the middle of a hectic and pressure filled life, I myself failed to figure it out.
Don’t assume your Integrity ranking is where it should be, or that others can plainly see what you stand for. Understand who you are from an Integrity viewpoint, and what you stand for.
Make sure what you outwardly display through you actions, and not just your talk, clearly communicates the Integrity in you.
I’d love to hear what YOU think.